Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I'm leaving on a jet plane...

Tomorrow is the day! I'm nervous and excited for the journey that is awaiting me. I had a fabulous weekend. Friday night was a surprise going away party with friends, and Saturday was a party with family. Thanks to everyone who came! I couldn't ask for a more perfect weekend.
Everything has come together in the last few days. Friday, I finally got my passport back. It had to be send to the Kenyan embassy in Washington DC in order to receive my visa. Today, I received a shipment of medical supplies from the Catholic Medical Mission Board drug warehouse. I am bringing a whole suitcase of drugs and other supplies with me. Very exciting stuff! I'm also taking a $730 donation which was collected from my wonderful coworkers at Good Sam Hospital. It's wonderful to see one hospital help another hospital. Thanks again guys!
If the weather cooperates I should depart Cincinnati at 11:45am. I head to Chicago, then to London, and finally Nairobi, Kenya. If everything goes smoothly I'll arrive Thursday at 9:30pm, Kenya time. They are 8 hours ahead of Cincinnati. All this snow is beautiful but I'm ready for some warm weather! FYI: it's currently 88 degrees in Kenya.
Well, this is it. I'm not sure when I'll be posting again. The hospital has satellite internet, I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I've been warned it overloads easily. I'm expecting the "snail paced" internet I encountered in Ghana.
Can't wait to update you once I arrive! Keep in touch!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is me commenting on your recent post. Might I add that I am also the first to comment on your blog. Beat that 304! Who's a better friend now?! Can't really say everything I just read is news to me but then again, I did just have lunch with you today. The past couple of days is proof that if you're having difficulty saying goodbye to a loved one who you won't see for a long time, the best remedy is spending so much time with them that you become sick of them :) It turns the grief into relief! So long Meis :) Well, I would love to write more but I have to get up in 6 hours for a freakishly early breakfast and say goodbye to your Kenyan-bound a**. Safe travels and can't wait to read some good stories, hopefully involving hippos. As they say in Kiswahili (which I'm told by Wikipedia is official language of Kenya)...Kwaheri Lauren!

Unknown said...

Of course Christian would be the first one to comment on your blog... he's only been checking it everyday since you've created it! (Hahah just teasing Christian)Right now, I'm sure you're somewhere on the other side of the world, but we're still keeping it real here in Cincy for you! Breakfast today was great, although I'm glad there was coffee present to keep me coherent during my goodbyes : ) Safe travels and hopefully when you arrive you can put up that mosquito net and take a much needed NAP! Just think, when you left today, it was around 18 degrees and snowy and you're headed to much warmer weather! Jealous!! Enjoy the time and looking forward to more adventures of the Meis Chronicles! Love you!

BBenkert said...

Hi Lauren,
I can't have this blog dominated by 20 somethings! We are so proud of you and will be anxious to read more about Africa! I will post family photos on my blog so it will just be like being here!
http://mbbndablog.blogspot.com/
Love,
Aunt Barb

Lauren said...

Thanks for the posts guys! Good to know people are reading!
PS. Havent seen any hippos yet, but they have gotten though the fence and come onto the hospital grounds!