Saturday, June 27, 2009

Not all of Africa looks like this...


What comes to your mind when you think of Africa? Mud huts with thatched roofs? Naked children with distended bellies? Nala and Simba? Elephants, zebras, and giraffes? Women with babies on their backs, carrying a load on their head? Nelson Mandela? Oprah? Angelna Jolie? HIV/AIDS? Malnourished kids picking through the trash dump?
Many of these descriptions are a part of my life here in Karungu. A typical home is made of mud. Children do have big bellies. Women carry everything imaginable on their heads. HIV/AIDS effects about 75% of the patients at the hospital. Here, kids die of starvation. My mother always told me to finish my dinner because there are “starving children in Africa.” I see those starving kids die.
But this in no way represents Africa as a whole. This is my own personal experience, in one small part of Africa. I don’t people to think that all of Africa looks like Disney’s The Lion King. In an eight hour drive I can make it to Nairobi where people live in mansions, work in high-rise office buildings, and drive Mercedes. All of America doesn’t look like New York City, just like all of Africa doesn’t look like Karungu.
One of my favorite conversations to have with people is about homelessness. Sounds kind of strange but its true. People here have a hard time believing that there are homeless people in America. They have a hard time believing people sleep on the streets and go hungry. They think all of America looks like the movies. It's a common belief here that everyone in America is fat, rich, and has two kids and a dog.
Don't believe the stereotypes.

2 comments:

Paula Yerke said...

Lauren - I love to read your comments. I am proud of you and sometimes a bit envious! By the way, not only did Tim graduate but was a shining star!! Enjoy this lifetime adventure. You are in my prayers.

Unknown said...

"Many of these descriptions are a part of my life here in Karungu."

You forgot to mention the part about being an Oprah addict. Hahaha. Miss you Meis. Good entry -- I love checking this to see when there's a new one. I just finished a book about a Sudanese refugee -- he'd been resettled for a time in a refugee camp in Kenya and Karungu was mentioned in the book. Hope all is well! Yebehyia!