Friday, July 3, 2009

I Love Orphans!





I love orphans! Well, it stinks that they are orphans in the first place but these kids are amazing. The 60 kids at Dala Kiye (Luo words meaning ‘orphan home’) are the most resilient kids I have ever met. All of them are HIV positive, and have horrendous stories of what their life was like before coming to the orphanage. Some of them were ‘half orphans’, and lived with the surviving parent who was also infected and too sick to care for the child. Others are ‘complete orphans’ and lived with a grandmother who was too old to care for them. Most of them were neglected, malnourished and not on ARVs (antiretrovirals). Most of them came to the orphanage after being treated at the hospital. The reality is that if these kids were not at Dala Kiye they would probably be dead. Since coming to the home their lives have changed completely. They eat, receive medications, go to school, and now have 59 other brothers and sisters. I often forget they are HIV positive because they are so healthy and active, but every evening at 7pm I am reminded of it when all playing comes to a halt and they go take their meds.
Here are some of my favorite photos of the kids.


Tony and Mercy



Sunday afternoon at the lake

Simion and his soccer ball.

2 comments:

angi said...

I love orphans too :) Greet Christy and everybody in Dala Kiye! A long hug for every child.. See you soon! Oriti ;)

giovi said...

Dear Lauren great post. I love my experience in Dala Kiye with the orphans, father Emilio ando all the voluntay that i met there like you. If you come in venice let me know exactly when you,ll arrive